Light Up the North is a consortium that convenes seven light festivals that take place in the north of England; Illuminating York, Light Night Leeds, Light Up Lancaster, Lumiere, (Durham), Lightpool (Blackpool), Quays Culture (Salford) and Enchanted Parks (Gateshead).
The network exists to develop and share creative and practical knowledge and expertise of the sector, whist also furthering artistic ambitions by exploring co commissioning and touring of work. The network seeks out and creates new partnerships at a local, regional, national and international level and develops and shares audiences across all the festivals.
The Light Up the North network is coordinated by NewcastleGateshead Initiative and meets regularly throughout the year. The network establishes relationships with other festivals and work nationally and internationally and is developing collaborative initiatives including symposiums and joint commissioning as well as their own distinctive light events.
Our Aims and Objectives
- — Enable critical discourse to create a shared understanding of measuring the quality of outdoor work
- — Enable critical discourse to create a shared understanding of commissioning new work
- — Build creative and practical knowledge
- — Build capacity
- — Develop new and share existing audiences
- — Further creative/artistic ambition, through co-commissioning and touring
- — Explore options for more sustainable models for commissioning and funding
- — Explore potential new partnerships, local, regional, national and international
- — Develop a distinctive festival brand and strength in best practice in the North of England
The Light Up the North Network & Light Night Leeds invites you to an international symposium on Friday 7 October 2016 – Light, Art, Cities. The 2016 international symposium will be hosted by Leeds and will be over the Light Night Leeds festival, allowing delegates to attend the event and enjoy a light festival in […]
Get in touch
Light up the North would love to hear from you. Please use the contact form to get in touch.
If you would like to contact one of our festivals directly, use one of the links below to email them.